The Aurora Public Library is a public library located in Aurora, Illinois. It consists of the main library and two branch libraries. In addition to these services, the library operates a bookmobile, which serves a total population of 200,000 people. It also shelters our Galron patio door repair Aurora company.
The Aurora Public Library was known as such from 1904 to 2015.
On June 1, 1881, the first Aurora Public Library opened its doors. The library’s popularity grew to the point that it was able to fill its shelves by 1883, necessitating an expansion in 1885. Reading rooms and available reserve stacks for the library’s full collection arrived with the extension, but by 1900, the City of Aurora, IL had grown to the point that the library was once again out of space. In 1900, residents of the community banded together to petition Andrew Carnegie for funds to build a new library. Carnegie responded on January 16, 1901, promising $50,000 toward construction on the condition that the City Council give out $5,000 annually for the library’s care and maintenance. The Carnegie agreement was met, and the library opened in 1904. The library already received $6,000 a year due to a city library tax.
In 1969, a $500,000 repair tripled the size of the building to fulfill the needs of the expanding population.
More branches opened to reach more people. It opened in October 1989, when the Eola Road Branch was being built. In 1998, a new library, the West Branch Library, opened.
By the late 2000s, the library’s collection had outgrown its current home. Former Beacon-News site (corner of Benton and River) bought in 2010 for future construction. The new library, which cost $30 million to construct, opened on June 14, 2015.